OPEN CALL: Artists in Residence
DEADLINE: January 11th, 2018
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION
The PES AIR Program is an annual initiative that invites four visual or multidisciplinary artists to Newark, NJ, to create work around social impact. The mission of the program is multifaceted and is intended to benefit both artists-in-residence and a larger audience or public. First and foremost, the program is put in place to support artists both through introduction of new conceptual material and through engagement with new audiences. Within this aim, the program strives to create a symbiotic relationship between the artist and audience as a conduit for new artistic practice and intervention. The program’s final mission is to expose and encourage social discourses and narratives that are often overlooked or uncomfortable.
The PES AIR program includes the following:
- Studio Space, Resources and Support: Each resident is provided with an amenitized studio space for 1 year and resources (material and fabrication support, access to partner resources, professional development programs including PES’ CCC program, and more).
- Solo Exhibition: At the end of the residency cycle, artists present a solo exhibition of work in the main gallery space. These exhibitions are collaboratively curated between the artist and the Project For Empty Spaces directors throughout the residency. The presentation of work in the main gallery gives artists visibility for an audience beyond that of the typical ‘commercial’ art space.
OPEN CALL: Feminist in Residence
DEADLINE: December 7th, 2018
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION
PES Feminist Incubator Program is a series of short-term residencies, happenings, conversations, performances, and public discourses focusing on the empowerment and freedom of women. The inaugural incubator (January - June, 2017) was a response prompted by mainstream attention to what has become a normalized climate of hyper-misogyny, rape culture, and dehumanization of women, and women of color. The Feminist Incubator is a means of cultivating productive and critical intersectional dialogue and is a response to violence against humanity. PES Feminist Incubator Program is now a permanent fixture in our calendar, which will provide ongoing opportunities to female identified artists.
Project for Empty Space Call for Feminists in Residence. FIR’s are awarded a short term residency (January - March, 2019) that provides workspace for four female-identifying artists who are addressing issues of safety, ownership, and agency. This program is open to individuals working across all creative disciplines (writing, visual arts, performance, photography, music, poetry, etc.). Selected artists will have unlimited access to Project For Empty Space co-working studio space, tools and resources through our partners, and our growing feminist library. The residency will conclude with an exhibition in the PES gallery space.
ONGOING: PES Internship Opportunity
Open to upperclassmen (juniors and seniors), M.A. students and Ph.D. candidates for credit only. For students interested in visual art production, arts administration, registrar tasks, collections management, art handling and general gallery administration.
- Assist with curatorial projects and programming
- Planning and preparation for exhibitions
- Work with current PES artists-in-residence
- Artist research and documentation
- Interacting with the public in front of gallery
- Opportunity to interface with artists-in-residence
- Utilize facilities within a total of 30,000 square feet including 60 art studios/workspaces
- Interact with gallery clients, curators, critics, and creative professionals
- Develop understanding of non-profit gallery fundamentals
- Cultivate relationships with artists and art professionals
Duration: Selected interns will assist 1-3 days per week for the duration of internship.
Candidates are required to have a basic grasp of art and art history, as well as strong research, writing, and editing skills. Knowledge and/or experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign is not required, but is a plus.
Application: Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com